Longwood University-Panhellenic Council
Recruitment Rules and Regulations 2013
NPC Unanimous Agreements
- A woman is eligible to participate in membership recruitment if she is a regularly matriculated student on campus.
- A woman shall not be, or have ever been an initiated member of an NPC group and join another NPC group.
- A woman is ineligible for membership recruitment if she has been a new member of an NPC fraternity on this campus within the calendar year.
- A woman shall not give a promise, either verbal or written, to join a certain fraternity before bids are issued through Panhellenic.
- Each College Panhellenic Association shall prohibit the use of alcoholic beverages in membership recruitment and Bid Day activities (through 12 midnight the next day).
- Each College Panhellenic Association shall prohibit the participation of men in membership selection and Bid Day activities (through midnight of Bid Day).
- A woman will complete the Membership Recruitment Acceptance Binding Agreement after the last event she attends. It is a binding contract and once this has been signed, no changes may be made.
- Any woman signing a Membership Recruitment Acceptance Agreement and receiving a bid at the end of the membership recruitment will be bound by the agreement for one calendar year at the same college or university.
Section 1: General Recruitment Rules
- In order to be eligible to participate in recruitment, a Potential New Member (PNM) must have completed at least 12 Longwood credits and have a 2.500 cumulative GPA, as well as being a full time student enrolled at Longwood University.
- The cost of recruitment is $30 per PNM. That amount covers costs including food, nametags, t-shirts, building usage, etc.
- Chapters may not spend more than $300 on formal recruitment. All budgets must be submitted with plans by December 3, 2012.
- Updated chapter member lists must be completed on ICS by January 15, 2012 at 12 noon. This should reflect the number of women you have counting towards total. Chapter total will be set based on the average chapter size. The only reason a chapter may exceed that number is when achieving quota brings them over total.
- Chapters need to make sure that PNM’s do not take any gifts, favors, etc. out of parties during recruitment
- There are to be no socials or parties at any time from January 14, 2012 through January 20, 2012 in order to preserve recruitment ethics and avoid unnecessary and/or inappropriate contact with women since recruitment sign-ups are in progress. Sisterhood events are permissible and recommended.
- Positive Panhellenic contact should be had all semester long, but once Formal Recruitment start, chapters should not be inviting PNM’s places, to dinner, to hang out etc. Chapters can accept their offers but should not initiate contact or make plans.
- Strict silence is in effect from Friday January 18th at 4pm until bids are handed out. No communication of any sort (verbal, written, technological, etc) should happen between a PNM and members, this includes alumnae
- No chapter, affiliated member or alumnae may phone, e-mail, Instant Message, text message, facebook or meet outside of class related work, visit or invite the potential new member to a social organization, bars or any other location during the strict silence period. Members may not give gifts or buy anything for potential members at any time during the recruitment period.
- Chapter members or alumnae may in no way promise a potential new member an invitation, bid or reveal any information regarding voting or procedures to potential members.
- All members (including alumnae and new members) are responsible for knowing and observing the membership recruitment rules.
- Chapter members are expected to respect the anonymity and confidentiality of Recruitment Counselors and Panhellenic members.
- No latex balloons or latex of any kind may be used.
- All shirt designs must be approved by Fraternity and Sorority life before purchase.
Section 2: During Events
- Members are not permitted to touch, hug or have any physical contact with potential members (even during preference parties), unless the PNM initiates this contact.
- Members are expected to have appropriate conversation topics during parties, there should be no talking about other chapters, asking a PNM about their experience with other chapters or “suiciding” your chapter, etc. Does this really need to be there?
- CPC VP of Recruitment or designee will check rooms before parties begin to make sure set-up is appropriate, photo albums, videos, etc. Rooms on the hall not marked on the chapter’s floor plan may not be used during Recruitment without permission and inspection from CPC.
- Any unaffiliated sisters with pictures in composites, photo albums, etc. must be covered. All pictures should be appropriate.
- All alumnae and/or visitors must wear proper identification stating who they are and their status (i.e. on their name tag it should clearly say alumni).
- The role that alumni, inactive sisters, and sisters from another chapter play during recruitment is left up to the discrepancy of the chapter. Keep in mind though that if you allow your alumni or others to have conversations with PNM’s that it should focus on the PNM’s or chapter and a majority of the conversations should be had by the active sisters. You do not want to mislead the PNM’s on who the active sisters are!
- There may only be three sisters per one PNM, six to two, etc.
- Recruitment Directors or designee needs to keep attendance at all parties. They should report all absences to CPC VP of recruitment the end of each round of parties, if it was unexpected.
- Please be very careful about language used during parties. Do not say “I can see you in my letters,” instead say, “I hope to see you tomorrow” or “follow your heart.” Really work on trying not to mislead the PNM’s.
Section 3: Recruitment Counselor and Panhellenic Counselor guidelines
- Every effort shall be made to keep the identity of Panhellenic Officers and Recruitment Counselors a secret.
- Recruitment Counselors should not be involved in any communication with any chapter including their own about anything concerning recruitment.
Section 4: Potential New Member Guidelines
- All PNM’s will be signing a PNM “contract” that agrees to no alcohol during recruitment. PNM’s found drinking (on or off campus) or at bars, will be removed from the recruitment process and will not be allowed to join any sorority until Fall 2013.
- PNM’s may not enter Stubbs for social purposes (those who live there are exceptions).
- Each PNM should consult with her Recruitment Counselor before withdrawing from Recruitment. In the event a PNM feels she must withdraw from recruitment she shall fill out an official withdraw form.
- PNM’s will be expected to adhere to any and all other recruitment rules.
Section 5: Infractions
- Recruitment rules and regulations apply to any woman (including advisors, alumnae or inactive members) involved in the recruitment process. Any violation will result in an infraction that will be dealt with by the Panhellenic Council and/or University honor and judicial boards.
- Recruitment infractions must be presented in writing to the Vice President of CPC Recruitment, by the President of the sorority or a Recruitment Counselor, within 72 hours of the alleged act.
Section 6: Post-Recruitment
- If a chapter, does not reach quota, or has not reached total, they may COB women, beginning 24 hours after bids are given out/Walk. As always, if a chapter is COBing a woman, they must have potential members grades checked by OFSL before extending them a bid, unless it is a woman who dropped out or was released from formal recruitment, because those grades have been checked. When a woman accepts a COB bid, they must sign and return the COB Acceptance Binding Agreement within 24 hours in OFSL.
- No Open House or COB events may occur simultaneously. When a sorority wants an Open House they must register it with Fraternity & Sorority Life.